Skip to content

A Day in the Life with a Lemon.

May 10, 2010

This is Day 1 of the Diabetes Blog Week. Check out the full list of participants!

No day in my world is the same. But here’s a sample of what I go through on a typical workday:

6:30 a.m. Alarm goes off. Hits snooze button. Pry my eyes open. Decide I should go to the gym (on other days, I might roll over and go back to sleep).

6:35 a.m. Grab my glucose meter and test. Hopefully I’m high enough that I can go to the gym. On this day, I am.

6:45 a.m. I am dressed in my gym garb, sporting a water bottle and juice box. Leave my insulin pump at home. Ready to rock.

7:00 a.m. – 7:45 a.m. Huff and puff on the eliptical, stationary bike or another newfangled exercise machine. Don’t forget to stretch after!

8:00 a.m. – Back home. Test again. Without any basal insulin, my blood sugar hangs steady (if I wear the pump, I tend to drop).

8:00 – 8:40 a.m. – Shower and get ready for work.

8:45 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. – Ride down on the subway to Union Square where I work at a healthcare communications agency. Sometimes I wonder if there are any other people with diabetes riding on the train. My pump is visible, clipped to my pants pocket. But no one ever says anything.

9:00 a.m. – Pick up breakfast at the local bodega. Sometimes it’s cereal, other times yogurt and a banana. Depends on my mood and my blood sugar.

9:15 a.m. – Arrive at the office. Turn on my computer. While it boots up, I test my blood sugar, bolus and then dig in! I’m starving!

10:00 a.m. – Make sure my usual (emphasis on usual, not always) blog post is ready to roll for Lemonade Life. Even if I’m not testing or bolusing, I’m still thinking about the Big D.

1:00 p.m. – Lift my head out of the cloud of work. It’s lunch time. I test again. Usually lunch time is the one reading that I am at least normal, having corrected from the morning or simply stayed steady. If I have had cereal, however, this is debatable. My favorite lunch is a salad from Pret a Manger, but on Thursdays, we have pizza in the office. Occasionally I get a subway sandwich. I try not to go too carb heavy at lunch, because breakfast and dinner seem to be my big meals usually. Have to keep everything balance… (or die trying!). This is also when I take 3 Metformin pills for a total of 1500 mg  (or I take them at dinner, if I forget).

4:30 p.m. – It’s time for another blood sugar reading. For the last couple of months, I have not had an afternoon snack. That habit faded away when we moved to our new office in March. I’m not sure if it has helped my waistline or not. But I like to test anyway, especially if I have skipped my morning workout and I am planning on going in the evening.

6:30 p.m. – I arrive home. Dinner is a wild card. I eat out often, either after a diabetes support group meeting, with a friend, or hanging out with my fiance (!). Other times I order take out, but sometimes I stop by the grocery store on my way home and pick up a sandwich and diet soda. Dinner is my most unpredictable meal of the day. But at least I always test!

10:00 p.m. – It’s time to start getting ready for bed. I put on my pajamas, get ready for bed. Sometimes I have a bedtime snack, like popcorn or ice cream while watching an episode of Gossip Girl. I test my blood sugar, which can ping-pong all over the place depending on what I had for dinner. Sometimes I guesstimate correctly, other times, I am way off. I usually read in bed for awhile. Or surf the Internet checking out wedding websites and blogs.

11:30 p.m. – Lights out! And prepare to do the whole thing again the next day…

  1. May 10, 2010 2:35 PM

    I think it’s amazing you get up to EXERCISE. I get up at 6:15 every day just to get ready for work because I HAVE to… I don’t think I could ever self-motivate like you do knowing the treadmill’s still going to be there at 4:00 PM 🙂 Props to you my dear!!

    • May 10, 2010 3:09 PM

      My evenings are so busy that if I didn’t work out in the morning at least sometimes, I would never exercise at all. Unfortunately. I don’t do it because I like it. I do it because I HAVE to do it.

      • May 10, 2010 7:50 PM

        I love working out in the mornings. Its only hard to motivate yourself from the time you wake up to the time you get your workout shoes on. The actual workout is the easy part

  2. May 10, 2010 5:30 PM

    I’m also impressed that you get to the gym!
    If I had even half the food choices that you have in the big city, I’d be soooo confused. Not so many places to go or things to eat here in our small town.

  3. May 10, 2010 6:09 PM

    I’m impressed about the gym too! 😉 Do you ever find that, wearing your pump on the ‘outside’ that you tend to catch it on things? I’m terrible for doing that. How do you cope with pizza at lunch? I find pizza a bit beasty, but if I’m going to have it then lunch is the best time. Ice cream and Gossip Girl sounds awesome 🙂

  4. May 10, 2010 6:15 PM

    WOW you have a lot of will power getting up at 6am to go to the gym!! Sometimes I will tell myself I’m going in the morning, the alarm clock rings and I just roll over and go back to bed!

  5. May 10, 2010 7:40 PM

    I just had an “aha” moment! I never thought of actually leaving my pump at home while I go to the gym (rare occurence). How freeing that could make me feel. I usually just turn it off but it’s always bouncing around and pulling things down! Thanks for that little bit of info, I’m going to try that!

  6. May 10, 2010 9:07 PM

    I wish I could go to the gym at 6:) cool post.

  7. May 11, 2010 9:20 AM

    I commend you on being able to work out that early. I used to do it, but I just don’t have the drive anymore. I also commend you for being able to handle to the subway, maybe next time I’m in New York, I’ll be a grown up and take it 🙂


  1. Early Bird Gets the Worm. « Lemonade Life

Comments are closed.