Skip to content

A Surpise Reunion.

March 30, 2009

A few years ago, my father sold the company that he co-founded to an Italian company. It was a big to-do and now every few months he has to fly to Italy to meet with the owners (oh woe is him, right?). About a month ago he told me that he would probably be flying out to Italy at the end of March, and he asked me if I wanted to meet him during his layover at JFK. I waffled a bit, mostly because it takes quite a bit of time to get out to JFK from where I live in New Jersey. Last week, he called again and said that if I wanted to come out, he had about three or four hour to kill at the airport. He told me I could bring Erik, if I wanted. I asked Erik if he wanted to come with me to JFK, and he agreed, so seeing as how we didn’t have anything else going on, it would work out.

This past Saturday, we left my apartment at about 12:15, walked down to the PATH station (stopping briefly at Starbucks for coffee), and then got on the PATH to the World Trade Center site. When we got off, we walked over the subway station to catch the A to JFK. This is where it got a little hairy. You see, the A train wasn’t going past Jay Street in Brooklyn, so we actually missed 2 trains because we were waiting for the train that said Far Rockaway on it. Erik, frustrated, told us we should just get on and then transfer there (which you can’t, but we assumed when we got there we’d catch the right A train). When we were on the subway, the conductor came on and told us that Jay Street was the LAST STOP FOR ALL A TRAINS. A shuttle bus was available to connect us between Jay Street and Utica Avenue, so we got a lovely tour of the south side of Bed-Stuy (not the best neighborhood, if you want to know).

Once we got to Utica, we hopped off and walked down to the subway station to catch the A train. But we had to wait about 10 minutes because the A line actually splits, and we had to get on the right line. Finally, our train came. Which, because the C train wasn’t running that day, had to make all local stops. About twice as many as usual.

When we FINALLY arrived at JFK, we were tired but my dad actually just arrived because of a delayed flight, so everything worked out in the end. It took us a couple of tries to find the right entrance to Terminal 3, but we finally spotted my dad outside baggage claim.

“My dad’s in the brown leather jacket,” I told Erik, pointing.

When we crossed the street, I waved to my dad.

“I have a special guest too,” he said, then stepped aside. Behind him was one of my BEST FRIENDS of 15 years, a girl I went to elementary, middle and high school with. Freaking out, I dashed over and gave her a huge hug, leaving Erik to fend for himself with my dad.

I couldn’t believe it! Turns out, my friend and my father had taken the same flight, but they were connecting to do different flights (my dad going to Italy, my friend heading off to Germany). Since we were all together, my friend joined Erik, my father and I for lunch and did a bit of catching up.

It was very, very exciting to see her again, especially since I had only seen her briefly at a holiday party last Christmas. Because of the Pacific Northwest snow storm last December, I didn’t get to see much of anyone when I was home for Christmas. During my previous two trips, she was on a yearlong stint as a Fulbright scholar in Germany.

I love those happy coincidences.

  1. March 30, 2009 2:49 PM

    Wowwww! That gave me goosebumps!! 😀 😀 😀 What a wonderful surprise!

  2. March 30, 2009 2:59 PM

    How very cool! I love surprises like that!

  3. March 30, 2009 3:29 PM

    That is so cool, Allison. Would love to have seen your face when you spotted your friend. 🙂

    …and now I must go back to your older posts and find out more about this Erik. (Man, I feel like I’ve been living under a rock the last 3 months!)

  4. April 1, 2009 1:11 AM

    That is sweet. That kind of surprise can really make someone burst into tears and a little goosebumps.

Comments are closed.