One of the frustrating things about being a diabetic while both sick and PMSing is that you never really know if your astronomically high blood sugar is from a faulty pump set, bad insulin or the fact that your body is just temporarily psychotic.
I have been fighting the Plague for a week now while simultaneously awaiting my period to start (I know, I know, TMI) and while my blood sugars have been high, they have also been a roller-coaster, sometimes up in the 300s, sometimes steady in the 200s and occasionally and miraculously in the 100s.
When I woke up this morning ringing it at a nauseatingly high 414 mg/dl, I was shocked. I knew that my dinner had been a bit large and quite late and that I had actually run out of insulin in the middle of bolusing, but I was confident that I had made up for the insulin when I got home.
Another thing that shocked me was the fact that typically when my blood sugar is high, I wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I had woken around 8 a.m. to go to the bathroom, but that makes sense so I didn’t think twice about it before crawling back into bed.
When I finally did get up at the disgustingly late hour of 2 p.m. (okay, in my defense, it was 1 p.m. to my body and I’ve been sick!), I went and tested and discovered to my horror what my blood sugar was.
Because of the aforementioned “is this the sickness or the diabetes?” conundrum, I went ahead and bolused accordingly considering my pump set was two days old and my insulin was less than twenty-four hours old.
I sat down on my couch and flipped on the television.
BEEEP BEEEP BEEEP
Oh that can’t be good.
I took my pump out of my pocket and stared in horror and disbelief.
I was not terribly confident that I could resurrect my pump. I rewound it and primed it, only to get another MOTOR ERROR. I tried taking the battery out, but that only resulted in a FAILED BATTERY TEST. So I went to CVS and picked up more AAA batteries, and once that was complete, I still got a MOTOR ERROR.
The motor sounded like a car stuck in the mud – the wheels were spinning but it wasn’t going anywhere.
I finally gave up and called the Minimed Customer Service and after waiting on hold forever (edit: I actually hung up and waited awhile before calling back, and while I waited, I found out I had moderate ketones – yay!), I finally spoke to a Customer Service Representative. Having gone through my own trouble-shooting, I was confident there wasn’t anything that could be done. I told the rep that my pump broke and I needed a new one.
The rep asked me what happened and I told him that I was getting a motor error. He confirmed my information and told me that the pump would arrive at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday – because of course my pump had to break on a Sunday (the other two times my pump had broken was at night and when I was on vacation. I have lousy timing).
Luckily, I still had a bottle of Lantus in my fridge from last summer when I was on my pump vacation. Instead of splitting my Lantus dose, I’m taking it just once. With a broken pump I’m stuck on the priming screen so I can’t look up bolus ratios either, but I’m calling the doctor’s office first thing tomorrow morning to double check to make sure I’m remembering everything correctly.
Note to self: write this stuff down somewhere.
However, it is only two days and after a week like mine, if I’m a couple units off my basal rate or my bolus ratios, I doubt I’ll even notice the difference.
Good health can’t come soon enough.