I’m leaving for vacation tomorrow night (!!!) so I better post this now because I won’t have any time once I return to the West Coast. I’m also really lazy and can’t think of anything to write about.
1. Wrapping or gift bags? I adore gift bags, but I usually opt for wrapping paper. I’m such a hypocrite, but I have such issues with wrapping paper. First of all, it’s completely not environmentally friendly. All that paper being produced just to be torn off moments after you wrap something. I mean, admit it, how many of you wrap presents Christmas Eve just to have your children unwrap them the next morning? Second, I am a terrible gift wrapper. I was helping our office wrap present for poor children in some Newark-area schools, and I realized, yet again, that I just suck at wrapping. So, gift bags all the way. Well, next year.
2. Real or artificial tree? Real. C’mon, I’m from Oregon. The trees that line our freeways are fir trees. We are like the Land of Christmas trees.
3. When do you put up the tree? Usually the second week of December. Any early and the tree dies (see above) and any later and you don’t get to enjoy it.
4. When do you take the tree down? First weekend after New Year’s. By then, the season’s over and you’re back to the grind.
5. Do you like eggnog? Yes, dear God, I love it so. Because it’s so, so bad for you.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? I don’t know if I ever received a favorite present, honestly. I still have my American Girl doll that I helped pay for – I have Felicity – and I really, really like her. But I don’t know if she’s my favorite.
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Yes, we do. Which I find odd since no one in my immediate family is Christian except for myself, and we had it long before I converted. I think it’s a family heirloom.
8. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? Discount make-up or jewelry boxes. The make-up is never any good and jewelry boxes for children are only big enough to hold like five things, so it was never very practical. The stuff wasn’t terrible, I just didn’t want it.
9. Mail or email Christmas cards? I usually send Christmas cards. This is actually the first year I won’t, but that’s just because I can’t afford to purchase all those stamps. It’s a lot of money to be festive!
10. Favorite Christmas Movie? Muppet’s Christmas Carol! I watch it every year. Adore it.
11. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Beginning of December and/or whenever I can afford it. This year, I started last weekend after I received my mid-month paycheck, as my beginning of the month paycheck goes towards rent and electricity.
12. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? All the candy and desserts we have at my friend Kayce’s Annual Candy House party. Nothing in particular, but just having so many options at one time is heaven for a diabetic who usually isn’t around much candy.
13. Clear lights or colored on the tree? We’ve always had colored lights on the tree.
14. Favorite Christmas song? Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s Christmas Eve/Sarajevo. So gorgeous.
15. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Typically we stay home for Christmas. This year I’ll actually be going to California with my family to see my mother’s family, but a lot has to do with the fact that I’m much farther from my family so it will be a lot harder to go to California as often as I have in the past.
16. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Uh. Sure…
17. Angel on the tree top or a star? We have an ornament actually that fits over the top branch. It’s neither an angel nor a star…. Hard to explain, maybe I can find a picture somewhere.
18. Open the presents Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning? Always on Christmas Eve. My father says that Christmas “looks prettier at night.” So we have Christmas Eve dinner, unwrap presents, have dessert and then we’re done. Not much happens on Christmas Day – when we were younger, that’s when we had Santa’s presents, but now it’s just the day when we hang out and play with the stuff we got.
19. Most annoying thing about this time of year? I swear people think the holidays gives them the right to be lousy drivers.
20. Do you decorate your tree in any specific theme or color? Not at all. My best friend does, though. Last year we decorated it as a volcano using red fabric and clear lights and had Barbie dolls down by the presents in pools of lava. It was awesome.
21. What do you leave for Santa? We usually made cookies and left them for Santa with some milk.
22. Least favorite holiday song? Pretty much all of them. Except for Trans-Siberian Orchestra.
23. Favorite ornament? My mother has a lavender glass ornament that is beautiful and I’m going to take it with me someday when I have my own house and tree.