Those Russians are dash cunning!
My job is to read blogs.
Well, okay, there’s slightly more to it than that. But when all is said and done, a large portion of my day is sifting through my RSS feed and link-hopping to and fro, searching for the latest and greatest news in the media, technology and political spheres. And diabetes, we can’t forget the diabetes.
And some very interesting bits and pieces are starting to surface on my monitor.
Which of course means I have to share them!
Now, I have that “Up Front” section over in my right hand column, but I haven’t really figured out what to do with that and really how to keep it updated with things I find interesting in a timely manner. Other blogs (read: Kerri and Amy) have a lot of diabetes links so it’s not like that information isn’t getting to people.
So my brilliant idea is to share my latest finds on a regular Friday afternoon post and then putting the links in “Up Front” for the following week.
Let’s get started, shall we?
- In an Eddie Izzard skit come to life, Russians had the brilliant idea to claim oil by actually putting not just any flag but their flag at the bottom of the Arctic Sea. I can hear it now… “I claim this oil for Russia!”
- 237. No, that’s not my last blood sugar reading, it’s the total number of reasons a person could give for having sex, as researchers at the University of Texas in Austin discovered and published in this month’s issue of Archives of Sexual Behavior. Is yours on the list?
- Are you or someone you love a celiacer? (That’s my nickname for people with celiac disease. Catchy, no?) If so, check out the latest Dining & Wine section of the New York Times, which features restaurants in the New York City area that cater to those who are gluten-intolerant. It also includes a list of celiac blogs, including our own Catherine Oddenino of Gluten Free Guide, who not only deals with the rigors of celiac disease but has had type 1 diabetes since she was 11 years old. I met her in NYC a couple weeks ago for dinner and our restaurant, Bistango, is also featured.
- Do you love Starbucks? Do you want to drink a Starbucks coffee at every single NYC Starbucks in one day? Well, one fellow was crazy enough to attempt it last month. Mark Malkoff spent an entire day visiting all 171 Starbucks – and those are just the ones in Manhattan!
- Well, it’s “official.” Half the bloggers are women and yet nobody’s sayin’ nothin’, according to Jennifer L. Pozner at The Huffington Post, who reports that only 3 Chicago newspapers decided to write anything about last weekend’s BlogHer conference “as if this national assemblage of women writers and videographers were simply a local story.” Amen, sista!